Daily rant_Food diary #2

Hi, I'm back with another food diary.
The time I have during quarantine gave me an opportunity to make nicer meals for myself. You know, something more exciting than oatmeal and avocado toast. Not that there is anything wrong with oatmeal and toast, I do love them very dearly. but at the same time, I'm just looking for the finer things in life.
So here's most of the stuff I ate in a week
___________________________
#1 The highlight of the week: homemade sourdough bread
I follow a recipe for an easy everyday sourdough bread from my recent fav blog BAKED. I don't have a dutch oven but I do have an enamel pot that looks like a dutch oven (lol, pls don't judge). It turned out great. She is not perfect but we love perfect imperfection in this household.

#2 Roasted red pepper garlic white bean "hummus"
I threw a red bell pepper and a bulb of garlic in the oven before I turn the oven on. Then I preheat it for the bread and let them roast in the oven for about 30 min. I took them out when the bell pepper looked a bit charred, and the garlic was soft. Let them cool while I do other things and this is very optional but I peeled off the skin on the bell pepper. I prefer using white bean though it is a disgrace to the tradition of hummus. White beans are creamier and easier to blend. They are also very mild in flavor making the flavor of other add-ins shine through more easily. 
Here's the recipe, though I didn't measure it properly so...
1  15 oz can of white bean (great northern beans, cannellini beans, white kidney bean or ven butter bean)
1/2 roasted medium red bell pepper
1 medium bulb of garlic, roasted
Juice of a lemon
2 heap tbsp of tahini
Salt to taste
1-3 tbsp of water to thin it out
Put everything in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Adjust the thickness to your liking, by adding more or less water. Keep in mind that it will thicken up as it sits in the fridge. Drizzle olive oil on top when served.
#3 Baked Sweet potato
I pierced and wrapped a few sweet potatoes in foil and threw them in the oven while the bread was baking to roast them
#4 White bean rosemary soup (see a theme here? I love white beans)
I used the first mess's recipe. But instead of fresh rosemary, I used dried rosemary. I also added mushrooms and carrots for a more veggie full meal. I held onto the kale and add it in later once I reheated. Also, added some frozen peas, just because.
#5 Prep my vegetables
Destem, wash, and spin a bunch of kale. Wash and dry cucumber+tomatoes. 
____________________________
Here's some of the meal I had 
#1 The soup

#2 The soup but with brown rice pasta
#3 The soup but added potato
#4 Hummus sweet potato nourish bowl
I halved the sweet potato and broiled it to warm it up and get some charred bits (the best part). I massaged the kale with some salt and balsamic vinegar. then I added cucumbers, tomatoes, and alfalfa sprouts. I had that with a very generous portion of hummus. topped it with everything but the bagel seasoning and hot sauce
#5 Hummus toast
Sourdough bread, toasted. a thick slatter of hummus, a few slices of cucumbers, and some alfalfa sprouts. Topped with everything but the bagel seasoning and black pepper. 
#6 Sourdough discard pancakes (genius!!!)
I had a lot of sourdough discard that I kept in the fridge. I poured it straight into a hot pan sprinkle some you guess it everything but the bagel seasoning while the top is still wet. Flip it and cook it for a couple more minutes. I had that with saute veggies and avocado. This is probably the best thing I had that week
#7 Uhm...Oatmeal. I said I was looking for the finer things in life and oatmeal is still god damn fine. You know





Comments