Random vegan meal ideas_ gluten free bagels

I love bread. I love bagels. I love carbs.
I love a toasted everything bagel with avocado and nutritional yeast any time of the day, not just breakfast.
I am not gluten free nor trying to limit my gluten intake because I am not sensitive with gluten (lucky me). I think following a gluten free diet even though you're not react too badly toward gluten does harm for the soul lol. Let's be real, we love "gluten full" food like cakes, bread, bagels, noodles etc. I also heard that if you're not sensitive toward gluten but you cut gluten off your diet, your body will eventually stop producing enzymes (or something similar) to digest gluten and you wouldn't be able to eat gluten again. That is just so sad.
Now this is a super long intro but the reason why I made these bagels was because I had some almond flour at home and I think waiting for the dough to rise etc is too much for a lazy gal like me. I looked up gluten free bagel and I found one but it wasn't vegan so I veganized it and after a couple trials, I came up with the perfect (in my opinion) vegan gluten free bagels. It tastes really good, it's not the same with regular bagel but I love the almondy flavor and the texture is also spot on.
_________________
Ingredients
1 1/4 cup almond flour
1/3 cup oat flour ( or you can just use all almond flour)
1/3 cup tapioca flour also known as tapioca starch ( I think any starch would work but I haven't tried any other starches yet so... you do you) + more for dusting
a pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp coconut sugar/ brown sugar
1/3 cup warm water
1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
water for boiling the bagels + 1 tsp of baking powder/soda + 1tsp of coconut sugar/ brown sugar
2-3 tbsp of plant milk + 1 tsp of coconut sugar/brown sugar as an "vegan egg wash". Or you can use olive oil/coconut oil instead
everything bagel seasonings (I use the trader joe's one. You can make your own or just skip it. Other seeds like poppy seeds or sesame seeds would work just fine as well)
 ___________________
Instructions
1. Preheat your oven to 350F or 180C
2. In a bowl mix together the flours, sugar, salt and baking powder
3. Add in the warm water and apple cider vinegar and combine well. You don't have to worry about over mixing since there is no gluten. The dough should be quite moist (ugh I hate this word).  It shouldn't be too wet and sticky but there should be a bit of moisture to it. If it's too wet, add more tapioca flour. If it's dry, add more water.
4. Divide the dough in to 4 fairly equal parts. Roll it into a ball then roll it into a cylinder shape until it's about 15cm long then connect the two ends together to form the bagel shape then out it on a baking tray lined with parchment paper/ silicon baking mat and dusted with tapioca flour. Remember to coat your hands with tapioca flour to prevent sticking
4. Boil the water and keep it to a simmer, add in the baking powder/soda and the sugar. Gently drop the bagels in 1-2 at a time depends on your pot but don't crowd the pot. Leave it there for about 1 minute or until it floats to the top. Transfer it to the baking tray with a slotted spoon.
5. Bake the bagels for 15 minutes. Then take it out, brush the "vegan egg wash" or oil on top and sprinkle on the seasonings/seeds of your choice. Bake it in the oven for another 10 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Let it cool on a wire rack the the steam to escape and enjoy. My favorite combo is peanut butter + banana/jam, avocado + everything seasoning because I can't get enough if it and cashew cream cheese with cucumber on a toasted bagel. 

Comments